David Williford (pictured) tortured rabbits, Guinea pigs, chickens, rats, and dogs to death. He prowled Craigslist to find cheaply priced or free animals, promised to give them a good home, and took them to his Olympia, Washington home where they were found decapitated, hanging from walls, and dead on the property. VIDEO HERE
Animal torture has been linked to other crimes. According to the Humane Society of the United States,
- Researchers, as well as the FBI and other law enforcement agencies nationwide, have linked animal cruelty to domestic violence, child abuse, serial killings, and ... killings by school-age children, according to Dr. Randall Lockwood, vice president of Training Initiatives for The Humane Society of the United States ... in a study of 57 families being treated for incidents of child abuse, 88% also abused animals. In two-thirds of the cases, it was the abusive parent who had killed or injured the animals to control a child. In one-third, the children had abused the animals, using them as scapegoats for their anger. (HSUS) SOURCE
- Animal ownership is not to be taken lightly, yet so many people abandon pets or give them away every year that shelters are overflowing. Animal adoption ageny webpages are full of ads of available animals, from newborn to geriatric. Yet human beings continue to treat animals as objects, to include purposely causing harm.
- Animals teach us many life skills. We learn compassion, responsiblity, how to grieve, how to love, caregiving, and so much more. Animals are used to rehabilitate juvenile delinquents, imprisoned persons, and war veterans suffering from mental and physical trauma. Animals are the only creatures that do not kill for fun or revenge.
- To torture or purposely harm an animal is a revelation of some deep-rooted issue stemming from something within the soul and psyche. All crimes have one basic factor: the need for power & control. Animal abuse is the ultimate power & control; the animals cannot fight back or retaliate. The horse may kick, the dog may bite, and the cat will scratch, but the human has the advantage, finding a way to overpower, be it a weapon or plan.
- It is a crime to purposely harm animals, for they are living creatures that feel pain and are affected by cruel treatment. They are not "just an animal" but a living, breathing being that can teach us how to love. Only humans can teach us how to hate.