According to the Associate Press (March 4, 2017), “(Bennett) once likened Islam to cancer required Muslims to answer several written questions… before (Bennett would) agree to meet with them.” The questionnaire was handed out during Muslim Day at the Capitol, a day “created to encourage Muslim members to meet with elected officials” (Snopes.com)
This questionnaire included:
"Do you beat your wife?"
In the United States, a woman is battered every 15 seconds by an intimate partner. One in five have been victimized by rape or attempted rape. At least one in four U.S. women experience some form of abuse in their lifetime.
"Mohammed was a killer of pagans, Christians and Jews that did not agree with him. Do you agree with his example?"
Crime appears in all religious texts, because crime is a part of society. It is part of our history. We are surrounded by crime every day of our lives. The majority of people reading this have been personally touched by murder. In the New American Bible, for example: “Everyone who would not seek the Lord was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman.” (2 Chronicles 15:12-13)
I have heard that, according to accepted Islamic sources, Mohammed, at the age of 49, married a 6-year-old girl, and that he had sex with her when he was 52 and she was only 9 years old. Is that really true?
The majority of sexual assault victims in the U.S. are between 11-17 years old. 62,939 cases of child sexual abuse were reported in 2012. An estimated 70% of sexual assaults against children are not reported to authorities. Persons the child knew committed 75% of those crimes. (Bureau of Justice Statistics’ National Criminal Victimization Survey).
Domestic violence, murder, and child abuse occurs in households identifying as Catholic, Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Wiccan, Islamic, Native American... you get it. 76% of Americans identify as “Christian.” Less than 1% of the U.S. population identify as Islamic (source).
So here is a questionnaire for Rep. Bennett before I agree to ever meet with him:
- You identify as Christian, the largest religious group in the U.S. To what disease would you compare that?
- Have you ever assaulted your wife? If you did, would you report it?
- Have you ever had sexual thoughts of any of your 4 children? If you did, would you report it?
- On your website, you state, “I had the great responsibility for defending the freedom of this country.” Is that freedom for all, or freedom of a select few? Explain.
- You told Tulsa World, “According to the Qur’an … (women) may indeed have physical harm done to her … (for disobedience).” You have said the Bible is the guidelines for life (source). 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 reads: "Wives, be subject to your husbands … the husband is the head of the wife just as Christ is the head of the church." Your response?
- Re. the question "I have heard that...is that true?" As an elected official, do you not check resources?
If you have any questions for Rep. Bennett, you can send them HERE. He has stated he is all about “being there for people.”
Help with escaping domestic abuse: click here
Resources include HERE and HERE
Photo of J. Bennett source